THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES ?

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Miss Manners' Guide to the Internet

I love the internet, it's how I make my living, I find entertainment on it, I use it to socialize, I couldn't imagine my life without it. But the internet can also be an evil, unforgiving place. We have all been online for a long time, so there really is no excuse, but for some reason there are still people out there that don't seem to really "get" how to properly use the internet. They get on a keyboard and all class seems to fly right out the window, and don't get me started on drunk netting.


One thing that makes me cringe is Virtual Bragging. Yes the rise of social networking has made it much easier to re-connect with old friends/classmates and keep in touch with current friends, co-workers and acquaintances, but does that mean that you need to prove yourself via your Facebook page? IMO no, but some I suppose would disagree (or at least according to their statuses). Now don't get me wrong, I think that some virtual bragging is absolutely wonderful. Did you have a baby? Get a new job? Engaged? Buy a house? If so then brag away, because that is great news and I want to hear it. But do I need to know how much you spent on your new house? Or how much dough you'll be raking in at your new job? Absolutely not, keep that tackiness to yourself TYVM!

Break ups and fights with significant others seem to be the events that send otherwise respectable people over to the dark side. I would like to send a PSA out to all my virtual friends, please stop airing your grievances via your Facebook, Twitter and other new media vehicles. Bashing someone on the internet is not ok, it is just tacky and at the end of the day you end up looking a fool.

There is a thin line when it comes to sharing on the internet, and I fear as more and more people increase their tech savvyness, the number of people crossing the line into bad netting is just going to get out of control.

4 comments:

Stillie said...

Well played babe... :)

Unknown said...

Ahahaha couldn't be more true!! Save your drama for your mamma rather than looking for attention from your close, semi close and talk to randomly, or once in a blue moon I have you on my page so I look like I have ton of friends, friends and family.

Kodos sista!

Unknown said...

haha is this regarding what we were talking about at my house the other day? If so, then I'm doubly laughing!

Debbie said...

I need to get on one of those social networks. I seem to be missing out.