THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES ?

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dos and Don'ts of dining out with your kids


My inspiration for this post comes from a meal Lyric and I shared at McDonalds recently. Now I know McDonalds is not the epitome of class and fine dining, but it is still a public place and people are still trying to enjoy their meals. Lyric and I stopped at McDonalds the other day to kill some time before my doctor appointment (and to enjoy a nice large fry and cheeseburger, I won't be able to indulge much longer!) It was 11 so we were literally the only people in the entire restaurant. We settled in to a booth in the back and had a very serious discussion about how doctors tell what kind of baby you are having (boy v. girl), followed by a very informative lecture from Lyric on the differences between boys (they have penises) and girls (who of course have vaginas). I was enjoying our talk (and learning so much) when all of the sudden a mom and her very obnoxious child sat in the booth directly behind us. Looking around the restaurant I noticed that there were 15 open booths/tables, FIFTEEN! Her son then continued to hang over the back of the booth screaming in my ear, drinking his juice and spilling it on my seat and then, the clincher for me, coughed all over me, I could feel his spit hitting my back! Not once did this mom ask her son to turn around, not once did she ask him to stop screaming. So I asked myself, why did they choose to sit at the booth next to the only people in the entire place? and why did she not think it necessary to try and discipline her son? Was she really that rude or just oblivious to the fact that her and her child may be the source of discomfort to those around her?


I'm afraid that the answer may be the fact that there are people out there that just don't get it, they see their children with nothing but love and could not possibly imagine that others would not view their children in the same light. Well for those of you who just don't get it, below are some tips for dining out with you children. If there is ever any doubt the answer is, yes, your children are annoying to those around you and no, it is not ok for them to be out of control in public, and yes it is your responsibility to either get them under control or to leave the area so that those around you may enjoy their meals. I'm sorry, I know it's harsh, but you chose to be a parent and raise kids, your fellow diners did not, don't make them suffer.

Tip 1: Good table manners start at home. Teach your children how to behave at the table at home and dining out will be much more pleasurable.

Tip 2: Bring activities, lots of activities. Be prepared for every situation. Do you have an iPhone? Then download games, this can provide hours of entertainment.

Tip 3: Ask the waiter to bring your child's dinner as soon as it's ready.

Tip 4: Be firm and recognize bad behavior. Ignoring it will just make it worse, let your kid know that whatever they are doing is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

Tip 5: Abort. If your child is not getting it together and they are continuing to make a scene leave the restaurant, it will make you and those around you much happier. There will be plenty of nights in the future for you to eat out, don't try to suffer through a horrible experience.

0 comments: